Fort Lauderdale – coastal city on the Atlantic Ocean in the US state of Florida – has very special festive mood during the Christmas and New Year’s Eve 2017. Situated in Broward County in South Florida, the city is well known as the “Venice of America” due to its expansive canal system.
One of the great things about Fort Lauderdale city is its very own New Year’s Eve ball drop. The ball in Times Square has over 32,000 leds; ours has “only” 10,000. It’s going to be 20 degrees in Times Square tonight; projected Temp in Fort Lauderdale: 71 Degrees. You can freeze your butt off in Times Square or you can hang out in balmy downtown Fort Lauderdale.
On New Year’s Eve, the entire downtown “Himmarshee Village” area is closed off from the railroad tracks to Esplanade Park. There are food trucks, restaurants, beer stations in the street; it’s just a crazy good time. You can argue that Fort Lauderdale does not do everything right; but New Year’s is one thing they can be proud of.
Get to Fort Lauderdale
The city can be reached from 3 airports: Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (IATA code: FLL), Miami International Airport (IATA code: MIA), Palm Beach International Airport (IATA code: PBI). Early air flight booking is highly recommended.
Parties in Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach County
Fort Lauderdale has a lot of food and drink stations, which is good for the NYE events. Below are some suggested venues and events for your choices.
- War of the Worlds Block Party. With Jacuzzi Boys, Resolvers, Parallels, Astrea Corp, Killmama, Casey Hopkins Duo, Walk of Shame, and Killbillies. 8:00 PM in the 500 block of Clematis Street, West Palm Beach
- Kid Rock DJ Set. 9:00 PM at Passion Nightclub, 5701 Seminole Way, Hollywood
- Millionyoung. With Riot Act, Boxwood, and DJs Andie Sweetswirl, Damask, and Esoteric. 9:00 PM at Green Room, 109 SW Second Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
- Pablo Francisco. 7:00 and 10:00 PM at Fort Lauderdale Improv, 5700 Seminole Way, Hollywood
- The Great Gatsby Roaring ’20s Celebration. 8:00 PM at Blue Martini, 2432 E. Sunrise Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale
- NYE Dirty Disco Ball. 10:00 PM at Exit 66 Nightclub, 219 S. Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale
- Paris Is Burning. With Oscar G., DJ Ruen, and Donnie Lowe. 9:00 PM at Pangaea/Gryphon, 5711 Seminole Way, Hollywood
- City of Fort Lauderdale Downtown Countdown. 4:30 PM. at SW Second Street and SW Fifth Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
- The World Is Not Enough. 9:00 PM at America’s Backyard, 100 SW Third Avenue, Fort Lauderdale
The city has more than 300 hotels with full range of facilities and services. Popular hotels are Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach, Beach Gardens, The Ritz Carlton, Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina, Gallery One A Doubletree Guest Suites Hotel, Crowne Plaza Hotel Ft. Lauderdale Airport Cruise, etc. If you are planning to spend your next coming NYE holidays in Fort Lauderdale, do remember to book well in advance your rooms and tickets.